If you’re planning on moving to Australia and have an offer of skilled employment, there’s an excellent chance that you’ll be able to get the Skilled Work Regional Provisional Visa 491 from the Australian government. This visa will allow you to stay in the country for 4 years and live in any state, but you’ll need to apply for it before arriving in Australia. Here are some things you should know about this visa and how it can help your move to Australia go more smoothly.
Skilled Work Regional Provisional Visa 491
Skilled work regional provisional visa 491 is a visa for skilled workers in regional areas of Australia who have a job offer with an employer. Applicants must have the skills, qualifications and experience required to do their job. They also need to be employed in that field by their sponsoring employer. The sponsorship needs to be ongoing, meaning they are only eligible if they have been working at the company continuously for 12 months or more before applying.
Who is eligible for the visa 491?
To be eligible for the Skilled Work Regional Provisional Visa 491 in Australia, you must:
- Have at least two years of work experience in a skilled occupation.
- Be under 45 years old.
- Be sponsored by an Australian employer willing to offer you a job; sponsorship will include your family if they are with you.
- Have the intention to live in a regional or low population growth area of Australia.
- Pass all relevant health and character checks.
- Live lawfully in Australia from day one of the application processes until permanent residency is granted.
- Meet other specific requirements on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.
What are the requirements?
- The applicant must have a skills assessment from a relevant assessing body and meet the occupational requirements of that occupation.
- The applicant must provide evidence of two years of work experience in an occupation on the Short-term Skilled Occupation List or provide evidence of four years of work experience in an occupation on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List or ten years experience in an occupation on the Strategic Skills List if it is not one of those listed as either medium or long-term strategic skills.
- The visa will be granted for three years, with the ability to extend this by another two if they can show further success within their industry. This is the same as the skilled employer sponsored regional visa 494.
- It is also important to note that there are annual caps set that restrict the number of skilled work regional provisional visas which can be granted each year.
- The initial application process may take up to six months, so ensure you apply well before you intend to travel.
- Once your application has been approved, you will need to pay a visa application charge of AUD1820 – these funds cannot be refunded if your application is rejected at any point.
- Ensure that you keep your supporting documents safe and secure, as they must be presented should the Department request them at any point during your stay in Australia or when applying for permanent residency with Skilled Work Regional Provisional Visa 491.