Study Abroad with Your Spouse: Countries that Allow Family Immigration (Spouse visa)

Did you know a spouse visa is a thing? Yes! It’s not easy to leave your spouse behind to pursue your education abroad, especially if you just got married. You don’t need to give up your study abroad plans because of your spouse. You can simply take him/her with you! The good news is that several countries permit dependent family immigration through employment and study visas. You can take your spouse along when you go to study abroad. 

Countries have developed the Spouse Visa, sometimes known as the Dependent Visa, a great way that enables your spouse to live with you while you study abroad. Employees, students, and permanent residents are now permitted to move to a foreign country with their partners. 

It is important to review the specific requirements, which are based on the country’s visa, as well as any restrictions placed on the spouse, partner, or other family members. The thing is that not every country allows family immigration. So, if you plan to take your spouse along with you while studying abroad, you should consider certain countries.

In this article, I will share the best countries that allow you to move with your spouse for studies. This would give you an idea of the countries to target.


Required Documents for Spouse Visa Application

Certain documents are required for a spouse visa application. I would like to point out that certain circumstances or countries may require some additional documents. However, those listed below are the general requirements.

  • Spouse’s Travel Passport and travel history
  • Spouse’s background documents
  • A marriage certificate or other proof of a spouse or relationship
  • Other evidence of a relationship
  • Proof of income in order to demonstrate sufficient funds.
  • Consulate fees and a completed application

Best Countries for Spouse Visa

Presently, there are about 35 countries that permit the accompanying married spouse, or even the accompanying unmarried spouse, to work without restriction. For instance, wives and partners are permitted to work in the UK, Finland, Australia, and Canada. In the USA, married couples are free to work. However, there is a streamlined process for a married spouse in some countries, including Singapore, Japan, Malaysia, and Malaysia. 

Below, in no particular order, are the best countries to consider if you want to study abroad with your spouse.


Your spouse can travel with you to Canada. If he/she has the necessary permits, they can even work full-time thanks to the Canada Dependent Visa. You can sponsor your spouse (married or unmarried in Canada) while you’re studying there. The spouse you sponsor will reside in Canada with you. 

Your spouse will have to apply for a work permit to work in Canada. With the work permit, He/she is free to work anywhere in Canada without a labour market impact assessment. You will need to meet specific standards in order to obtain a Canadian student-dependent visa for your spouse. The work permit will often be valid for the same amount of time as the student visa.

The dependent visa category, commonly known as the Canada spouse visa category, covers numerous sub-categories such as the spouse dependent work permit for Canada, spouse immigration for Canada, etc. When applying for a Canada spousal work permit, the waiting period for dependent visas is roughly 60 to 90 days, and when applying for spousal immigration to Canada, the waiting period is approximately 10 to 12 months.

Note: When you agree to be a sponsor, you are required to sign an undertaking pledging to provide money for your spouse and their basic requirements. Read more about sponsoring your spouse in Canada here. You must submit their application when you apply for your Canadian study permit.

The United Kingdom

You must meet a few regulatory requirements to bring your spouse into the UK on your student visa. If the following criteria are satisfied, you may invite your spouse to visit you in the UK for a limited time while you are on a Tier 4 student visa:

  • You’re enrolled in graduate-level coursework.
  • Your full-time degree program lasts at least nine months to finish.
  • You’re enrolled in a study program that lasts at least six months and is supported by the UK government or another foreign government.
  • You possess a visa under the Doctorate Extension Scheme and are a recent PhD graduate.
  • Keep in mind that you cannot apply to bring a family member to a study abroad program if you are pursuing an Advanced Diploma.

If your spouse is applying independently of you at a different time, they simply need to show they can support themselves. These funds must be with you or your spouse for at least 28 days in a row. The conclusion of the 28-day window must be 31 days or less after your spouse submits their visa application.

If you are studying on a loan, you must present documentation from your loan or sponsorship company. You must demonstrate that you have the funds to support your partner if your loan does not cover their support.



One of the best countries in the world for living standards and education is Australia. Australia, like Canada, provides permanent residency programs that allow international students to travel with their families. Simply put, they grant spouse visas to the spouses of international students. Foreign students and those with work visas are permitted to bring family members into the country. 

You can submit their visa application when applying for your Australian student visa or after you have started studying in Australia. Learn more about Australian family immigration and spouse visas.


Germany is one of the countries that grant dependent or spouse visas to foreign students. It is a known fact that international students can attend public universities in Germany without paying tuition, but they must have a German blocked account.

Under the terms of the student spouse visa for Germany, international students may bring their families to Germany while they are studying there. However, they must meet all the conditions. Your spouse can visit and live in Germany while you are studying there with a German residence permit thanks to a German visa for family members of foreign students. Holders of German family visas are permitted to work in Germany if they are of working age and possess the necessary credentials.

The United States of America

The United States of America is one of the top study locations. For international students, the country offers welcoming immigration laws. A foreign student is permitted to bring their spouse or dependents to the USA. As an international student in the USA, your spouse may submit an application for an F-2 or J2 (dependent) visa at the same time you are submitting an application for an F-1 or J-1 (student) visa. 

You also have the option of submitting separate F-2 or J-2 visa applications. If your visa application is granted, you and your spouse will be allowed to enter the country either at the same time or at a later date. After receiving the necessary authorization, J-2 spouses are permitted to work in the USA. After the J-2 visa holder has arrived in the country, they may apply for this authorisation. 

Keep in mind that it may take up to 4 months for the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to approve the employment authorisation and that during that time, the J-2 dependent’s right to work in the USA cannot be activated. It can only be activated after receiving an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card. The EAD cards can be renewed annually and have a 12-month validity period.



Finland is another country that allows international students to take their spouses along. For your spouse to accompany you while studying in Finland, he/she can apply for a residence permit. The Finnish Immigration Service usually processes both applications together. Even if the visit is shorter than three months, the spouse must apply for a residency visa if they want to work in Finland. 

Note that a Finnish residence permit cannot be applied for on your spouse’s behalf. An application for a residence permit can only be filed by the applicant (your spouse).


Due to fake marriages for immigration, your desire to move with your spouse while studying abroad may seem like an escape. However, you can succeed in getting your dependant visa approved if you present a strong defence during the visa interview at the embassy.

To find out which countries you are eligible to apply to for a family immigration visa or spouse visa, first visit the official websites of your intended destinations. Consider the countries that are known for the route you intend to take as well. Read up on all the relevant information you can find about your country of choice. This will keep you informed and enable you to know what to expect.

Importantly, you should consider the cost of supporting yourself and your spouse in addition to your desire to have your family close by. Even though most foreign universities provide chances for international students to work while studying, you shouldn’t bank on this if you want your spouse to move with you.

See also: The Different Types of Visas in USA

Related Articles