The Skoll Scholarship is a competitive scholarship for new MBA students at the University of Oxford’s Sad Business School who seek entrepreneurial solutions to important social and environmental concerns.
The Scholarship covers the whole cost of the MBA program as well as a portion of the living expenses.
The Skoll Scholarship provides funding for entrepreneurs who have established or are currently working in entrepreneurial initiatives with a social purpose or have pursued an impact career and wish to improve their knowledge of market-oriented practices in order to be more effective in their subsequent social change pursuits.
Host: Oxford University
Study Abroad: Study in UK
Category: Postgraduate Scholarships | Masters Scholarships
Eligible Countries: All Countries
Reward: Full Scholarship | Living Expenses
Deadline: January 4, 2023
Details of the Scholarship
In addition to financial support, the Scholarship provides access to the Skoll Scholar community, a group of leaders who are positively impacting the world through innovation and system change, as well as exclusive opportunities to meet with world-renowned entrepreneurs, thought leaders, and investors.
The Scholarship is granted in recognition of the fact that the MBA can be a major financial burden, especially for individuals who have decided to work in the social impact/innovation sphere rather than the solely commercial or public sectors.
Do you qualify for the Skoll Scholarship?
1. Entrepreneurial action
- You have seen opportunities and taken action to have a good social effect.
- You’ve spent at least three years creating change through entrepreneurial tactics. For example, you could have started or expanded a social startup OR founded and led the expansion of a social impact initiative within an organization OR been solving a specific social/environmental issue via a common thread that connects your work
2. Creating Impact with a focus on systems change
- You can show the results and impact of your entrepreneurial action.
- Your influence challenges unfair systems and practices in your field of work.
3. Personal qualities of a social entrepreneur
- You are a force for positive change
- You are single-minded and persistent, with a willingness to fail and start again
- You have bias toward action
- You have a tendency to explore your environment for opportunities and resources
- You have a willingness to take personal, and sometimes financial, risks
- You develop networks and leverage members to pursue mutual goals
- You have apprenticed with the problem* or experienced the problem you are trying to solve
4. The Oxford MBA is critical to your career trajectory
- You can demonstrate why business education is essential in helping to develop your work/impact at this stage
5. Financial need
- You are in a position where the cost of the programme is a significant financial burden
- You can demonstrate the need for the Scholarship (for example, due to previous work experiences or personal circumstances)
Scholarship Duration and Reward
- The Skoll Scholarship pays for all tuition and educational fees for the MBA program at Sad Business School, University of Oxford. The Scholarship also includes some living expenses.
- The Scholarship provides access to the Skoll Scholar community, a group of leaders who are positively impacting the world through innovation and system change, as well as exclusive opportunities to meet with world-renowned entrepreneurs, thought leaders, and investors, in addition to financial support.
Follow these procedures to apply for the Skoll Scholarship:
- Connect with them to express your interest in the Scholarship and to receive notifications about forthcoming deadlines.
- Directly apply to Sad Business School for the Oxford MBA programme. This must be done during the first, second, or third stages of the MBA admissions process.
- Upload your answers to the Skoll Scholarship essay questions as part of your MBA application and submit your MBA application! The Scholarship essay questions are located in the MBA application’s “Funding” section. We recommend that you give yourself about a week to address the Skoll Scholarship essay questions.
- The MBA Admissions Team will then assess your application and determine if you are accepted onto the MBA programme or not.
- If you received confirmation that you have been accepted onto the MBA programme, your application will automatically go forward to the Skoll Scholarship Selection Committee.
- Applications for the Scholarship are reviewed after each MBA admissions stage.
- You will receive an update on the status of your Scholarship application and whether your application is going forward to final shortlisting shortly after MBA admission decisions have been made from each stage.
- If you receive confirmation that your Scholarship application is going forward to final shortlisting, keep an eye out for an email from the Skoll Centre with a link to the Logistics and Reference Form. See timelines below to know when to expect this email.
- Once you have received the email, complete the Logistics and Reference Form. This consists of a series of short questions to confirm your contact details (in case you are invited to interview), how you heard about the Scholarship and your referees contact details. Please note, your referees will not be contacted unless you get to the final stages of the selection process.
Deadline: January 4, 2023