Feeds Topics Living Abroad Commuting hitch-free in Finland

  • Creator
  • #46025

    Commuting Hitch-free in Finland

    Finnish public transport is generally efficient, reliable, safe and on time. Getting around any town by public transport is manageable without fuss, and pretty quickly, even for a foreign visitor. Day tickets can be economical for visitors, and for regular travellers Season tickets offer savings. Consult the local authority for details. Taxis are government-regulated; all are in good condition.

    Finland’s coach (or bus) network is one of the most comprehensive in Europe, covering more than 90 percent of public roads. If the rail network doesn’t reach your Finnish destination, a coach most likely will. Plus, riding a coach is a good way to relax and take in the scenery.

    Within cities, trams are the preferred form of transportation. Finnish Railways offers excellent inter-city routes, and taking the train from Helsinki to Turku, Tampere and Lahti is more convenient and definitely faster than the bus.

    Ticket purchases can be made online or from Matkahuolto terminals, Matkahuolto agents and many travel agencies. Regular travellers: Matkahuolto offers season or multiple-trip tickets loaded onto a Travel Card. Travel Cards can be topped up at R Kiosks and onboard most buses.

    Finland has excellent roads and driving is a good way of getting around the country. However, this is less true of Helsinki where parking can be challenging and the majority of locals opt for public transportation or bikes instead.

    The minimum legal driving age in Finland is 18. If your driving license was issued by an EU or EEA country, or a country that is part of the Vienna or Geneva Road Traffic Convention (note that you’ll need an official translation or international driver’s license in the latter cases), then you can drive for up to two years after becoming a permanent resident in Finland. Within this time frame, you can also apply for a Finnish license.

    This is done at the offices of the Finnish Transport Safety Agency’s contractual service partner Ajovarma Oy. In addition to paying a fee, remember to bring your national driver’s license, an authorized translation, and, sometimes, a statement from a doctor confirming that you are healthy. You can find out more about buses, tickets, routines, etc in Finland by clicking here.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 posts June 2018