Feeds Topics Living Abroad How to Get a Temporary Residence Permit in Germany

  • Creator
  • #1864

    Deborah Etim

    Germany is an EU country with beautiful cities, and amazing people. There are lots of opportunities there and it is recommended if you want to move to a new country and settle. There is a bit of challenge in settling in German because getting a German Residence Permit comes with many requirements. The German Residence Permit is the document that allows you to settle in Germany for a long time. If you want to visit Germany, you can apply for a Tourist Visa that allows you up to 90 days in Germany. If you plan on staying longer or settling in Germany, you need a residence permit. This post attempts to simplify the procedures involved in getting a German Residence Permit for a non-EU citizen.

    There are three types of German Residence Permit, namely: EU Blue Card, Temporary Residence Permit, and Permanent Residence Permit.

    • EU Blue Card: This permit is for foreigners who are highly skilled professionals. They must have completed their First degree or Post-graduate degree and are willing to move to Germany to work. You can get this permit, allowing you to stay for four (4) years if you get a job in Germany with an annual salary of at least 50,800 Euros. You will most likely get this card if you are a professional with a scientific background. With this card, you can be qualified to apply for a Permanent Residence Permit within 21 – 33 months of your stay.
    • Temporary Residence Permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis): This permits most foreigners who plan to stay in Germany. It limits your stay for a year, but the good news is, you can apply for a Permanent Permit if the reason for you being in Germany is still valid. This permit is issued to foreigners who have concrete reasons like Employment, Education, and marriage, as a reason for wanting to stay in Germany.
    • Note that with this permit, you are not allowed to do anything else except the purpose you claim took you to Germany. For example, you can not work full-time if your purpose is for studies and vice versa.
    • Permanent Residence Permit (Niederlassungserlaubnis): As the name implies, this permit allows you to stay in Germany for as long as you wish. The major prerequisite of getting this permit is having a Temporary Permit or EU Blue Card, and your reason for being in Germany is still valid, for example, you maintained your job. You must also show that you have worked at a job approved by the Federal Employment Agency for at least five years. The Permanent Residence Permit avails you the opportunity to bring your partner and children(if any) to Germany. They get a Temporary Residence Permit until they are qualified for the permanent one.

    Now that we know the different kinds of permit and what they entail, below is a list of requirements for eligibility to apply for a temporary permit or EU Blue Card:

    • Valid International Passport
    • German language proficiency
    • German Health Insurance
    • Financial stability
    • If the reason for applying is studying, proof of admission
    • If the purpose is employment, proof of employment in an organisation in Germany
    • If on the grounds of marriage, you must present your marriage certificate to a German resident
    • Proof that you are a professional in your field (For EU Blue Card)

    When you are sure every document is available, you can proceed to visit the German Immigration Office, where you will be given a form. Fill the application form and book an appointment for an interview. On the appointed date, show up with your filled and signed application form and required documents, on time. Visit here to know more about getting your application form and applying.

  • How to Get a Temporary Residence Permit in Germany

    Michael updated 2 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • Michael

    June 17, 2021 at 6:34 pm

    You know, although I have lived in Germany for over 6 years, and currently posses an EU Blue Card (Blaue Karte), I only knew the various types of residence permit available and the difference between them from this post.

    We truly never stop learning.

    Good post @deborahetim

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 posts June 2018