Before traveling to the United Kingdom from Nigeria, you must apply for a visa.
In general, you must apply for a visa to enter the United Kingdom before you travel, though some business travelers may be eligible for a visa on arrival. You must acquire formal confirmation of your visa application’s acceptance before entering the UK.
Depending on why you want to migrate to the UK from Nigeria, you can apply for a variety of visa categories. Each category has its own set of eligibility standards, and you’ll need to offer sufficient paperwork to back up your claim and show that you’re eligible for the visa you want.
UK visas for Nigerians
UK Spouse Visa for Nigerians:
If you want to join your Nigerian partner in the UK, you’ll need to apply for a Spouse Visa. To be considered, you must meet the following criteria:
- You and your partner are both at least 18 years old.
- You must be married or in a legally recognized civil partnership in the United Kingdom.
- Your sponsor must be a British citizen or a permanent resident of the United Kingdom.
- Before getting married, you must have met in person at least once.
- For the past two years, you must have been living together.
UK Working Visas for Nigerian citizens:
Nigerian immigrants must request for a Skilled Worker Visa in order to work in the United Kingdom. You must have acquired and confirmed a job offer from a UK-based business who carries a valid Certificate of Sponsorship in order to be eligible. The following permits are included in this visa tier:
- International highly skilled workers who meet specific eligibility requirements can apply for a Skilled Worker Visa.
- Tier 2 (ICT), which is only available to existing employees who are working in another country but need to transfer to a UK branch of their company.
- Internationally recognized athletes and qualified coaches are eligible for a Sportsperson Visa.
- International religious workers can apply for a Minister of Religion Visa.
Nigerian entrepreneurs travelling to the UK
Tier 1 Visas are available to “high-value migrants” and Nigerian entrepreneurs who wish to visit the UK. The following permits are included in this category:
- For those who work in a certain subject (such as research, medicine, or the arts) and are worldwide recognized as experts in their field, the Global Talent Visa is available.
- Tier 1 (Investor). Interested Nigerian investors must have at least £2,000,000 to invest in the UK in order to qualify for this permit.
- Individuals who want to start their first business in the UK can apply for a Start-Up Visa. There is no requirement for a minimum investment, but candidates must show that they have a lot of promise.