Feeds Topics Living Abroad Types of German Visas

  • Creator
  • #6394

    Deborah Etim

    If you are looking to move to, or visit Germany, it is important to know the different kinds of Visa in order to know which one suits your purpose of travel.

    Schengen Visa is a short-term visa that enables individuals to visit any country of the Schengen Zone for tourist or business for up to 90 days.
    It is Europe’s most popular visa. It allows the holder to enter, freely travel within, and exit the Schengen area from any Schengen member country. There are 25 EU Countries in the Schengen zone and they are Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and Liechtenstein. Here is a list of Non-EU countries in the Schengen zone. The cost for a Schengen Visa is 80€ for adults, 40€ for children between 6 to 12 years and it is free for children below the age of 6.

    The Schengen visa is available in three different versions, depending on the reason for travel: single, double, or many entries into the Schengen area. As a result, you can use it for one continuous 90-day stay or two or more stays totaling 90 days within 180 days. You can also extend the validity to 90 days within one, three, or five years for frequent travelers.

    Language Student Visa: A Language Student Visa is available to foreign students (non-EU, EEA, or Swiss) who are enrolled in a language study program that lasts between three and twelve months. You’ll require your proof of course registration and proof of health insurance. You must also present verification of funds in a blocked account for the duration of your study; these funds should allow you to spend 720 € per month.

    Au Pair Visa: A special visa is available for anyone traveling to Germany to work as an Au-Pair. This does not apply to EU, EEA, or Swiss citizens who are permitted to work as Au-Pairs without obtaining a visa.
    You must be between the ages of 18 and 26 to apply for an Au-Pair Visa, and you must have evidence of healthcare insurance, a contract with a host family, proof of basic German language skills, and, in most cases, a motivation letter.
    You will not need to show proof of funds because the host family will cover the majority of your living expenses, but you will need to show that you have enough money to go there and pay for the visa.

    Work Visa: A Prolonged Stay Working Visa is required for those who have already found employment in Germany. Individuals from the EU, EEA, Switzerland, the United States, Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, and the Republic of Korea do not require a visa to work in Germany, but they may need to apply for a Residency Permit.

    Student Visa: Foreign students, with the exception of EU, EEA, and Swiss citizens, must obtain a Student Visa before beginning their studies. Individuals must have been accepted into a course and provide proof of healthcare insurance as well as proof of funds, preferably in the form of a deposit in a blocked account, in order to obtain this visa. Those who haven’t received confirmation of acceptance or haven’t settled on a course can apply for a Student Applicant Visa first, then a Student Visa once they’ve been accepted.

    Whether you’re applying for a Tourist Visa, a Student Visa, or an Au-Pair Visa, the process is the same for all German visa applications. You must make a visa appointment with the German consulate or embassy in your native country in all situations. After that, you must fill out the form and complete all required papers, as well as present all additional requested supporting documents to the interview.

  • Types of German Visas

    Michael updated 2 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • Michael

    September 14, 2021 at 8:07 pm

    How about someone going to join their spouse or parent in Germany? What kind of visa would they need?

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 posts June 2018