The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme Subclass 187 is a visa that allows skilled workers to live and work in Australia indefinitely if they can prove they have skills in demand in regional Australia. Applicants to this visa program must prove that they have at least two years of experience in their occupation and have completed at least one year of study in the past five years related to their field or occupation.
Who can apply for visa 187?
Suppose you are a student aged between 18-30, living in a regional area, and have been offered a place on an approved course of study at an Australian university or other registered educational institution in Australia. In that case, you can apply for the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme Subclass 187 visa.
You must meet all the criteria and complete your study offer before applying for this visa. The validity for Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme Subclass 187 is for up to four years which is not similar to that of Permanent Residence Skilled Regional Visa Subclass 191.
List of Documents Requirements for Visa Application
To be eligible for a subclass 187 visa, you must provide the following documents:
- A letter of support from your regional state or territory government confirms you can work in regional Australia.
- Documentation of your skills, qualifications, and experience.
- Evidence of current employment or an offer of employment from a regional employer.
- Evidence of English language proficiency where English is not your first language.
- An application fee.
- Onshore health and character requirements.
Eligibility Requirements for Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme Subclass 187
A person must:
- Be aged 18 years and above.
- Have access to at least AUD 100,000 in their own funds.
- The money cannot be borrowed from another source or guaranteed by someone else.
- The money can come from your personal savings, investments, or superannuation fund.
- The applicant must be a foreign national outside Australia when applying for a visa and wish to work or study in regional Australia.
- Have enough money to support yourself during your stay in Australia without working.
- English language proficiency and health requirements apply.
The Processing Time of Visa Application
It takes approximately 12 months for you to be granted your permanent residency. If you’re granted a Skilled Independent visa, it is valid for 4 years, whereas if you receive a Skilled Nominated visa, it is valid for 2 years. During that period, while you’re waiting to become eligible for citizenship and then apply after that, you are not allowed to leave Australia or attempt to re-enter Australia without a valid visa.
The cost of application for Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme Subclass 187
There is no cost associated with applying for RSM Citizenship. However, once approved, you are charged a citizenship bond, which is currently $5000. This will be paid over your first four years of permanent residency. After that period has ended, if you choose to become a citizen, you will also need to pay an administrative fee of $200 per person and, if granted citizenship, an annual administration fee of $100 per person.
You must also meet English language requirements (IELTS 6) and pass a citizenship test. If you fail any part of these requirements, you may be required to reapply later or even have your application for Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme Subclass 187 rejected.